This original Seaford Lodge Tyler’s collar was ‘borrowed’ by the members of Pioneer Lodge No 420 Irish Constitution, on their deployment to France in 1915.
As a regiment, the Ulstermen who made up the membership of the Pioneers Lodge were based in Seaford pending onward action in occupied Europe. Prior to their departure they held a number of meetings in Seaford with the help of Seaford Lodge premises, members and regalia. The Tyler’s collar was worn during Masonic meetings at the Somme and Thiepval under a back drop of gunfire and enemy shells. The collar was returned to Seaford Lodge in 1918 on its return from a liberated Europe.